|Rocket Electronics & Recovery|
|Launch & Static Tests|
|Motor Class Table|
|Iowa Amateur Rocketry Group|
|Don't Click Here!|
Here is a drawing from AeroLab.
The rocket weighs about 1.6 pounds without motor or recovery system. I didn't install a motor mount tube, I just left it as an open body tube so I could use either the larger ER1.75I motor, or a smaller 1.125" motor with an adapter. For the first flight, I decided to use the larger ER1.75I motor and the Transolve P6K altimeter.
On launch day the wind was blowing to an extreme, so I waited until late in the day, when the wind had dropped to an acceptable level. John was on hand to help set up, my launch rail just went small enough to use it on the new rocket (still unnamed). Once set up, John was at the controller and I was on the video camera.
5,4,3,2,1 and ignition.
Click Here for a 25 second video of the launch, 2.08 MB in wmv format.
The little rocket took off at a nice pace, not slow, but not overly fast either, just about right actually.
The rocket flew slightly into the wind, but for the most part it was a nice straight flight.
The rocket was out of sight very quickly, at about 16 seconds I heard the apogee charge go off, but I still couldn't see the rocket. So I turned on my RDF receiver and locked in on it's location in the sky. Shortly after, John sighted the rocket coming in under the "mogue" parachute. Ok, so now you're asking what in the world is a mogue chute. It's a combination main/drogue chute. Small enough for a safe landing on soft ground, but small enough it won't drift too far.
It was still pretty breezy and the rocket was about 1/2 mile distant when I managed to get the camera zoomed in just before touch down.
The rocket was an easy find on the bare, black soil. Once at the rocket I listened to the beeps for altitude, 4,600'. A little less than expected, but it was also unpainted and had a very rough surface, likely increasing the drag quite a bit.
All said, it was a good flight and the rocket recovered with no damage. I'll fly this rocket again in the near future with the ARB3D flight computer and see how it does. If all goes well with that flight, I'll go ahead and paint the rocket.